Thursday, January 21, 2016

I just can't explain it



Last spring it was a thrill to see long time SIG goalie Scott Darling raise the Stanley Cup. It was an incredible year for a lot of our goalies winning championships at all levels. It is always a thrill for me when I see these moments and I always feel a sense of pride. What I can't really explain though is how I felt when I returned from my trip to Germany to find a Cory Schneider bobblehead waiting for me.

Above is a picture of my new bobble head proudly decorating my office. What amazes me is why I am so excited about this. Cory has been to game 7 of the Stanley cup finals and is an NHL all star but I when I saw the bobblehead it really hit me how far he has come since our first summer together some 15 years ago. For some reason having a bobblehead to me is a great accomplishment but I can't really explain why it has this impact on me.

Being a coach and a mentor is a never ending roller coaster. You live the ups and downs with the kids and hope that you are helping them find their way. Its a great honor and privilege to work with so many motivated goalies and I am truly grateful for the opportunities this career path has given me. Maybe it just took a bobblehead for some of this to sink in.


No comments:

Post a Comment